Thursday, June 17, 2004

Kenny Bloggins

So, I've been giving blogging some thought lately as I've read through other blogs people have written, and I've come to the conclusion that there are two approaches to blogging. It hinges on whether or not you maintain your anonymity. Now with just about all blogs the author does not reveal his/her true name and address, so that isn't what I mean. I think it's more about whether you tell anyone you know about your blog. I've found that the more interesting blogs are the more candid ones with thoughts on people that the author knows, and things the author does, that the author would likely not want people he knows to be reading about. ("I'm married with 2 kids and banging the neighbor.", "I recently decided to see a doctor after I began to literally shit twinkies." Something along those lines.) In this blog, it truly is like a diary with your most secret thoughts in it, out there for the entire world to read. That is the most appealing blog to me. You can get to know the author perhaps better than the people that see him everyday. That really grabs my attention.

Then there are the blogs that everyone you are familiar with knows about (ie friends and family). At this point you are inherently writing for an audience. You always are, but this audience has the ability to affect your life with their opinions and reactions to your thoughts. This I think keeps the blog a little more sanitized, and though still fun to write, probably not as fun to read to the complete stranger- it has become more like a journal than a private diary. If you are in fact someone off the street reading this, you have found a blog of the second type I mentioned.

So what does this mean? I'm not sure. It could mean I'd start a second blog, but you'd never find out for sure about that here now would you? :)