Get Your Motor Runnin'...
One of my best friends from high school Carlie came into town this weekend from Oregon to visit. Originally we had planned for her and Jess to come down to our place for Saturday and join us for Market Square Day, but they bailed since they were hanging out with family and felt guilty leaving. So leaving Carlie and Jess for the moment, Karl, Laura, myself, and Janice all started from our house in Stratham and headed on into town for a day in the sun. We made it just in time to see Craving start their set at 11:15 in front of the post office. The crowd here was somewhat small, but some other friends were starting to appear. Tom & Kat showed up, as did Johnny, Shari, Jen.
After the set was over, we ducked into the Daniel Street Tavern which was right next to the stage. It was an interesting adventure, as none of us had even heard of the place, much less been there. As we walked into the bar it felt strange, like we weren't in Portsmouth anymore. It was a small little place w/ lots of biker-looking types, though I don't know if they were actually bikers since parking in the area was closed off for the bands and people. Likewise, they couldn't tell I was a Scary Biker Guy myself, since I wasn't dressed the part and had carpooled into town in a RAV. Grrrrrr! I could have flashed my cool tattoo to get my hidden biker side across, but I don't have it yet, so I couldn't.
We downed a quick pint and headed to the next stage down by the Rusty Hammer for Pondering Judd's set. La la la.
The stage here was a step up from Craving, as it was a flatbed truck bed so it was much higher and larger. The band was great as usual and we all had a good time. Here we ran into more friends - Bob (Gallagher), Crystal (twas interesting to see them together...), Jen England, Heidi. After Pondering Judd finished, we stopped into the Rusty Hammer. They have some great food at good prices, not to mention delicious jello shots. The group of us was the traditionally large size requiring an additional table be pulled along side the large "groups of 5 or more" table. The beer flowed as well as the jello shots and many stories were told and laughs were shared. And mmmm, those jello shots.
After a fulfilling lunch and lining the pockets of yet another watering hole, we stepped back outside to enjoy the Amorphous Band for a few minutes before breaking back off into our original group w/ the addition of Becky and heading through the vendors, milling about for a time. Actually it was more like Laura, Janice, and Becky were enjoying all the vendors who mostly seemed to be selling jewelry, while Karl and I people watched on the sidewalk. Still a great time.
After this, we went to a keg party over by the Blue Mermaid for a little bit- someone that Becky knew. There was a band playing there and quite a few people. It felt the same as standing back at Market Square, only I had a keg cup in my hand. Or I was at someplace at UNH. Ah, the good old days. We weren't there long though. Janice and Laura were tired and had gone out front to sit down. Karl and I soon joined and Becky remained to talk to friends and try to get a catch for the evening. We were all rooting for her. It wasn't long before it was noted that my camera had been left at the Rusty Hammer. No one was a fault really, everyone just forgot who was in charge of it (I had began the day saying I wanted no responsibility for it :) ) Anyway, it was no big deal, as some upstanding citizen had turned it in at the bar. We backtracked and picked it up.
The park had been calling our names for awhile now, so we finally gave in and found a good little perch in the sunny grass to lay down and quickly fall asleep for a half hour nap. It felt great, but once we all came to, I think the consensus was to do more of the same for the rest of the night. So we walked back to the car and headed back to Stratham. Cam had come into town for Janice despite the fact that she had her own car. So he followed us back to the house and stayed long enough to see the pictures recapping the fun of the day. Then they headed back home, with Karl on their heels. The rest of the night was spent lounging on the couch, and it felt great. Long day...
-----------------------
Sunday Carlie and Jess were still at their aunt Debbie and uncle Dan's cottage in Meredith, and I was heading up to visit them for the day. I was equally (well almost equally) excited for the ride there and back since it was a perfect day. I took the most direct route, which brought me right through the Weirs Beach area. It dawned on me that Bike Week had started this weekend, but I thought it took until mid-week to build up to be very big. I was mistaken and sat in bike traffic for 45 minutes near the Weirs. I was fine with that. Today I was prepared though and was Looking Mean. I had a great time shooting the shit with the guy next to me the entire time.
I got to the camp a little before 2 and was surprised to see Keith. So it was a little reunion of sorts, and we all spent the day sharing laughs and reminiscing of days gone by. And I got to check out Sue's new boob job finally. Well, through her sweater anyway. And it's not really new, I just haven't seen her in 5 years. They looked good from what I could tell :)
Debbie and Dan do things in style, so dinner consisted of lobsters and filet mignon. I hadn't eaten all day, and when I finally did it was the best meal I had ever eaten. The day went far too fast and soon I had to go. We had a quick boat ride first w/ Dan at the helm. Those ski boat can turn on a dime and I found myself hanging on for dear life and laughing my ass off. Dan's a riot.
The ride home was also fun. I went back past the Weirs and sat in a little more bike traffic. Just a taste what's to come on Friday. Then it was off toward home in the setting sun. It was pretty dark by the time I got home so I got to do a little night cruizing, something I always enjoy but don't get a chance to do very often.
Now it's back to the grind...


<< Home